World Boxing Council middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik defends his crown against WBC super welterweight champion Sergio Martinez Saturday April 17. HBO will broadcast the fight at Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall, where Pavlik has become a top draw. The program starts 10 p.m. EST.
The bout marks Pavlik’s bid to re-enter international prominence. Youngstown’s Pavlik, 36-1, with 32 KOs, squares off against Martinez, who’s 44-2-2, 25 KOs.
If you’re not following the story, Pavlik’s camp sent out a convenient reader of recent articles. Read on for a few of the choice ones. — D.X. Ferris
1) Dave Skretta, Associated Press: "Martinez Ready for Middleweight King Pavlik"
2) Mitch Abramson, New York Daily News: "Pavlik Fights to Regain Old Limelight When He Takes on Martinez at Atlantic City"
3) Keith Idec, Herald News: "Pavlik Knows Saturday's Title Defense Won't Be a Cakewalk"
4) Dave Weinberg, Press of Atlantic City: "Pavlik Needs More Than Just a Win Saturday Over Martinez at Boardwalk Hall"
5) Keith Idec, The Record: "Martinez Preferred Pavlik, But Pavlik Really Wanted Williams"
6) Michael Pritchard, Atlantic City Weekly: "The Ghost Comes Back"