You can put away the shorts and pull out the sweats, because summer's officially over. Yeah, we know, it sucks. But we'll always have our memories — most of them powered by a kick-ass soundtrack that included everything from head-bobbing hip-hop to shimmering pop-country.
Here's a look back at 2009's Top 10 Summer Songs:
1. Passion Pit: "Sleepyhead" — This song sounds like summer. So even if you put it on in the middle of February, it'll sound like fun, sun and a bunch of half-naked people kicking it up on the beach.
2. Miley Cyrus: "Party in the U.S.A." — Cyrus released this song at the tail end of summer, so it counts. Too bad she couldn't have gotten it out there in May, because this is how we'll probably end up remembering Summer '09.
3. Cobra Starship Featuring Leighton Meester: "Good Girls Go Bad" — We feel all squishy inside every time Gossip Girl Meester steps to the mic on this totally smokin' club jam from the emo smartasses.
4. Jay-Z: "D.O.A. (Death of Auto-Tune)" — Jigga takes a swipe at T-Pain and his robot-pop with this slammin' cut that buries all fakers up to their necks in sand.
5. Taylor Swift: "You Belong With Me" — This is like the 473rd single from Swift's great Fearless album, but it's all about crushes, which we all know feel best in the summer.
6. Kid Cudi Featuring Kanye West and Common: "Make Her Say" — Clevelander Cudi gets some help from 'Ye and Common on this old-school throwdown about girlies. Holla!
7. Phoenix: "1901" — The funkiest Frenchmen of the decade harvest a ton of sunshine on this bouncy bit of indie-pop that sounds so good under the sun with a cold one in your hand.
8. Girls: "Hellhole Ratrace" — This slow, droning slab of lo-fi bedroom rock makes its plea with swirling guitars and mumbled vocals. Cool end-of-a-summer-night stuff.
9. Black-Eyed Peas: "Boom Boom Pow" — It's partly here because you couldn't escape the damn thing. It's also here because it's the sort of ass-rumbling pop single every summer needs to throw up to get a party started.
10. Kings of Leon: "Use Somebody" — Here's your chance to make your move on that summer crush. The perfect song for getting busy and showing off just how damn cool you are. —Michael Gallucci
We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Cleveland Scene. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Cleveland Scene, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.
Email us at email@example.com.
Cleveland Scene works for you, and your support is essential.
Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Cleveland and beyond.
Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.
Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Cleveland's true free press free.