The Jewish Welcome Mat
One thing "The Job Machine" [May 18, 2011] doesn't mention is that the idea of the welcome center and making a concentrated effort to attract immigrants, pushed by people like Richard Herman, was stonewalled for years in Cleveland, with Mayor Jackson unenthusiastic, probably due to pushback from black organizations that felt no effort had been put into employing their community. Finally, when the Jewish Federation got so hands-on involved (at one point proposing that the building they were leaving downtown to move to Beachwood become the welcome center), city officials got on board last year. I wonder how black organizations in Cleveland feel now?
Hire ... Americans
Here's a very simple solution: Hire Americans with the aptitude and some of the skills and train them. That's what companies used to do to get talent, before visa programs made bodyshopping the new HR practice.
A Word From Your Uncle Ned
Every immigration wave to the U.S. since 1900 has led to recession or depression. The late 1998-2000 wave was the biggest in U.S. history.
America was built by Americans. Every buildup leads to immigrant takers who come in when times are good, strip the economy, then leave when times are bad — as they are now.
Eighty-four percent of the current U.S. population was born here. Do you expect us to believe that 84 percent of the natives live off the work of the other 16 percent immigrants? Come on, stop being either a liar or delusional. Immigration is a disaster for America.
Time Out for Pessimism
There is a lot of work being done to update old city laws, which should be commended ["Open Season," May 11, 2011]. But the crux of the situation in Tremont is simply: If the bars and nightclub owners could not or would not obey the old laws, what makes anybody think that they will obey new laws?