As such, the evening's lineup will include Cleveland natives who are making a difference in the local business and cultural communities or former Clevelanders who are succeeding elsewhere. A couple boomerangers will also be making an appearance. From the TEDx press release:
"The idea is that, whether one was born/raised in Cleveland but is [now] innovating outside the region or was brought up elsewhere but came to Cleveland to bring their idea to fruition, the city itself has a profound impact on your person and your work."
Tickets for the evening's presentations — the "ultimate brain spa" — are $43 (or $33 for simulcast) and include admission to the CMA Mix event afterwards. Here's a complete list of the speakers:
● Jonah Bayer (Export: Internationally syndicated music journalist; from Cleveland, OH resides in Brooklyn,
● Brian Michael Bendis (Export: Marvel Comics writer & Eisner Award winner; from Cleveland, OH resides in
Portland, OR; Presented in conjunction with Cleveland Public Library)
● Jennifer Coleman (Native: Chairperson of the Historic Landmarks Commission; Cleveland, OH)
● Art Falco (Native: President & CEO, PlayhouseSquare; Cleveland, OH importing worldclass content, exporting a worldclass image of Cleveland)
● Andrea Lane (Native: Student at MC2 STEM who is helping MIT to build FAB LABS across the country; Cleveland, OH)
● Jeffrey McClellan (Native: Headmaster at MC2 STEM the first STEM school on a corporate campus; Cleveland, OH)
● Angelo Merendino (Boomerang: Photographer who documented his wife’s devastating losing battle with breast cancer; Brooklynite returned to Cleveland, OH)
● Alonzo Mitchell (Boomerang: Founder of Ohio Homecoming, New Year’s Eve on Public Square & leader of the Rockefeller Park rapid revitalization project; Californian returned to Cleveland, OH)
● Megan Moynahan (Import: Director of the Center for Functional Restoration at CWRU; went to CWRU
undergraduate, left for a 17 year career at the FDA in Washington, D.C., returned to Cleveland, OH)
● Lisa Peng (Import: 17-year-old Laurel School senior & international human rights advocate; born in China, raised in California and Cleveland, OH)
● JD Samson (Export: Musician, Producer and DJ best known for her bands Le Tigre and MEN; from Cleveland, OH lives in Brooklyn, NY)
● Baiju Shah (Boomerang: CEO of BioMotiv and CoLeader of the Harrington Project; returned from Boston, MA, to Cleveland, OH)
● David Shimotakahara (Import: Founder/Executive Artistic Director at Groundworks Dance Theater; imported from Montreal, Canada to Cleveland, OH)
● Michael Williams (Export: Founder of international style blog A Continuous Lean; from Cleveland, OH, resides in New York City, NY)
We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Cleveland Scene. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Cleveland Scene, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.
Email us at [email protected].
Support Local Journalism.
Join the Cleveland Scene Press Club
Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.
Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.