Those among the paying public lucky enough to land the first two-and-a-half minute ride will be part of history. Watching that history somewhere close will surely be John Frato, the project’s point man and president of Euclid Beach Now.
“It’s been a challenge, but a labor of love,” said Frato, when asked to describe the restoration.
The Grand Carousel was built in 1910 by the Philedelphia Toboggan Company and referred to as “The finest carousel ever made.” It was one of the park’s most popular rides until it closed in 1969. It featured 58 horses that were hand-carved from wood. Of those 58 horses, 54 were restored and painted by Carousel Works in Mansfield and are part of the ride.
When Euclid Beach Park closed in 1969, the horses were stored in Maine. In 1997, they were auctioned and returned to Cleveland, where a restoration process, spearheaded by the WRHS, began. In 2012, a glass pavilion was built to house the Grand Carousel. According to Frato, the total cost of the restoration was $2 million.
We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Cleveland Scene. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Cleveland Scene, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.
Email us at email@example.com.
Support Local Journalism.
Join the Cleveland Scene Press Club
Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.
Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.