19-year-old James E. Henderson has been charged with aggravated murder and felonious assault in connection with the November 2014 quintuple homicide. Cleveland police announced his arrest earlier this week without identifying the suspect (see original story below).
Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty interviewed Henderson and said that he will not seek the death penalty if Henderson admits to the crime. The prosecutor said that Henderson expressed no remorse during the interview process.
"This was a horrific crime, one of the most terrible crimes in Cleveland’s history," McGinty said today. "He will murder no more."
Henderson is being held on a $7.5-million bond.
Originally published May 6
The Cleveland Police Department arrested an adult male suspect in connection with the November 2014 quintuple homicide
on the city's eastside.
"We know that this is just one step — and many more to come," Police Chief Calvin Williams said, adding the department received "dozens and dozens of tips" following the crime. "Our community stepped forward."
Little in the way of additional information was available. The investigation is ongoing, and charges are expected soon.
Deputy Chief Ed Tomba said that the department has collected a great deal of evidence and is currently in the process of executing search warrants. The suspect is being interviewed today.
"We had enough probable cause to seek this person," Tomba said. He added that the suspect does have a criminal history, but would not elaborate.
"Emotionally and on a personal level it affected all of us here," Tomba said. "We had a horrendous, horrendous tragedy with the loss of life and 9-year-old girl being shot in the chest in one of our neighborhoods across the city...If everyone goes back to that day in November, they remember how brutal and tragic that was."