The grisly execution of eight family members in the southern Ohio town of Piketon is now two years old. And public information from state and local investigators remains scarce, though the investigation has become the largest in the state's history.
the Cincinnati Enquirer and its conversation with Pike County Prosecutor Rob Junk, three agents (two from the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation and one from Pike County) are working on the case full-time. They remain focused on a family, the Wagners, that had connections to the murdered Rhoden family, and who moved to Alaska last year.
Junk said a great deal of information had been assembled, but that due to the ongoing investigation, it simply can't be released.
"There are some things that could clear this up for you in about two seconds but I really can't say anything because the investigation is still going on," Junk said.
That goes for the autopsies as well. Both the Columbus Dispatch and the Enquirer filed suit to obtain access to unredacted copies of the autopsies of all eight victims. The Ohio Attorney General’s Office, led by Republican gubernatorial candidate Mike DeWine, has argued that the autopsies' release could compromise the investigation.
The Ohio Supreme Court sided with the AG once again in a 5-2 decision Wednesday. It had already rejected requests for the full autopsies and reiterated that position.
Killed in the 2016 Piketon murders were: Christopher Rhoden, Sr., 40; and his former wife, Dana Manley Rhoden, 38; their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden, 20; Hanna Rhoden, 19; and Chris Rhoden, Jr., 16; Christopher Rhoden's older brother, Kenneth, 44; and their cousin, Gary Rhoden, 38. Frankie Rhoden's fiancee, Hannah Gilley, was also killed.