On Sunday morning, Cleveland police released information
regarding seven reported shootings throughout the city. Between the evening of Saturday June 16th and early Sunday June 17th, the following shootings occurred:
- Saturday at 7 p.m.: A man was shot in the chest on Elton Avenue near West 74rd Street.
- Saturday at 9 p.m.: A woman was shot in the neck during a fight at Kinsman road and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
- Sunday at 2:45 a.m.: A 48-year-old woman was shot in the leg at Visions Lounge on Euclid Avenue
- Sunday at 2:50 a.m.: A 14-year-old boy was shot in the leg Covert Avenue near East 71st Street.
- Sunday at 5 a.m.: A 32-year-old man arrived at University Hospitals with a gunshot wound from a shooting in the area of East 140 Street and St. Clair Avenue.
- Sunday at 6 a.m.: Two men were shot at Community College Avenue and East 40th Street. The victims both shot in the arm are aged 70 and 28.
- Sunday at 6 a.m.: Two people were shot at Lotus Drive near Miles Avenue.
Police released these reports before they would later begin investigating a homicide
of a 16-year-old boy (now identified as African immigrant Bahati Juma) shot on Father's Day in the 11000 block of Detroit Avenue in the Edgewater Neighborhood. Oh, and the shooting in East Cleveland that injured two police offers
And these are just the shootings that were actually reported.
Forbes lists Cleveland as the ninth most dangerous
city in America, we rank ninth in teen gun violence
, and the Major Cities Chiefs Association listed us with the fifth highest murder rate
per capita in 2017, with four out of every five
homicides related to gun violence.
Our homicide numbers are not good. Cleveland tallied 130 homicides in 2017, barely a decrease from the 133 homicides that marked 2016 as one of the deadliest years in the city in decades.
Unfortunately, for 2018, these numbers seem to be rising back up.
Cleveland News 19 keeps an interactive map
featuring all of the homicides uncovered in the Northeast Ohio area. With a majority of these homicides occurring in Cleveland, Channel 19 estimates there have been 85 uncovered murders in 2018.
And we're only halfway through June.